Welcome to Northern Hemisphere Snow and Ice Climate Data Records
This NASA Making Earth System Data Records for Use in Research Environments (MEaSUREs) project was designed to:
- Assess compliance of current Northern Hemisphere (NH) terrestrial, snow cover on sea ice and Greenland ice sheet snow data records with National Research Council Climate Data Record (CDR; equivalent to NASA Earth System Data Record (ESDR)) characteristics.
- Blend NH snow data products into ESDRs.
- Provide state-of-the-art NH snow ESDRs in multiple formats and on multiple time steps for the research community, decision-makers, and stakeholders.
To accomplish project objectives, efforts underway or to be accomplished by the end of the grant include the following:
- Assess how many of the NRC CDR characteristics are met by the NH terrestrial snow cover, snow cover over sea ice and Greenland ice sheet snow melt data records.
- The data records will be blended using statistical measures to develop enhanced, ESDR-compliant records of NH snow conditions.
- The ESDRs and associated products will then be provided via an existing Web site (http://www.snowcover.org) for access by the community. The ESDRs will also be distributed to relevant national data centers.